Sunday, July 17, 2011

Let's go to the movies

Yesterday we spent the morning with my niece and nephew, after their sleepover at our house.  We had dinner plans at friends of ours in the evening.  Unsure what to do with our middle of the day time, Tad did a little Internet search. 

We decided to take our kids to our first ever movie theater movie as a family.  I took Coen to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" when he was five.  Tad took him to see "Ramona and Beezus" when he was six.  But Lucy's never been to a movie.

We went to Mayfair's AMC movie theater to see Winnie The Pooh.  To save money, I packed snacks. (naughty, I know)  I brought trail mix  and fruit snacks for the kids, caramel bugles for all four of us, chocolate covered raisins for me, and sour patch kids for Tad.  The movie was great.  Lucy alternated among clutching my arm, sitting on my lap and sitting on Tad's lap. She was mostly silent and transfixed through the whole thing.  Only once did she speak loudly...to say, "Mom! It's too dark in here for me to see what color my fruit snacks are!"  Coen giggled through the whole movie.

The best was in the beginning, they had a short about a Loch Ness monster who was looking for a nice wet place to live. She was having trouble finding one.  Everyone was telling her to be brave and strong, keep a stiff upper lip and not to cry.  This was apropos to something we've been going through with Coen. He has been easy to cry about small issues, which has been frustrating to us. But we're trying to remember our policy that it is always okay to cry...and we want our boy to feel good about his sensitivity.  In the end, she finally cried. She cried and cried until she cried a whole lake and thus, a place to live.  The moral was.  It's alright to cry.  (which, of course, made me cry).

We spent money on the movie...but we had a nice family activity indoors on a hot day.  That's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment