Sunday, July 3, 2011

My favorite day

Today is my favorite day of the year.  The third of July.  Today is a big, fun, FREE event that happens every year in Milwaukee.  The "US Bank" fireworks (formerly known as the Firststar Bank Fireworks).  I have only missed this event two years of my life--the two years I was in the Peace Corps in Estonia.  I have gone every year since I was one month old.  Both my kids have gone every year of their lives.  I. Love. This. Day!

My parents go down there at 9:00 in the morning and stake out our spot.  It is amazing to me how respectful everyone is of each others' claims for space. Blankets, tents, canopies, and in our case four wooden stakes and some yellow twine mark off the spot where we will sit.  Then later on we all go down with blankets and coolers and activities for the kids around 3:00 in the afternoon.

 We sit and eat sandwiches and treats. We play games. We talk.  We take little walks around to see all the people who've come.  I love it that this event continues to be free year after year.  I love it that my family spends a concentrated six hours on a blanket together waiting for the main event.  I love the fireworks themselves.  Usually one of my children finds their way to my lap where we cuddle and watch the display, making ooh's and aaah's along with the crowd.

Today Tad woke up with a sick stomach.  Coen seems a little tenuous, falling apart at little things.  At the moment he's terribly affronted as his sister has chosen to sit on a chair nearer the TV rather than on the couch with him.  Me?  I promised myself I'd keep positive today, enjoying this day I love so much, no matter what happens.  I'll post again tomorrow and tell you how it all turns out.

1 comment:

  1. I've avoided the 3rd Fireworks ever since we lived on the East side and dealt with the parking nightmares. I felt I owed it to my kids and my French daughter to attend them...Let's just say I know now why I've avoided them for so long. I hope your experience was better. I'll stick to the small parks from now on...
    Kari

    ReplyDelete