Friday, November 19, 2010

Spirit Week

One of the many things I love about Tad is that he does not allow for things to become dull.  Ever.  So, he's in school right now, and this is not to say that he finds this dull. In fact, I have not seen him more interested, challenged and into what he's doing in a long time!  But school does require a lot of lecture, and lecture requires a lot of note taking.  And Tad noticed, that, like himself, a lot of his cohort was getting a bit restless, a bit down in the doldrums if you will.  So, what did Tad do? He instituted SPIRIT WEEK!  Spirit Week--in a graduate level Montessori certificate program! Come on! How can you not love this man?  Monday was "Everyone wear blue" and Tad felt a bit despondent after that day as there are so many shades of blue, it seemed to go unnoticed by his teachers.  I encouraged him to keep spirit week going. Tuesday was switch seats day, Wednesday was hat day, Thursday was sweet and salty snack day. And then Friday was the grand finale. This is where I came in.  The matching clothes thing seemed so fun, but as we found out with just picking a color, there are too many shades to really look conformed!  SO...luckily my father is in the junk peddling business (as he calls it) and he had some lovely leftover goldenrod colored t-shirts that a client did not want.  But I did not see it as good enough just to have everyone show up in a goldenrod t-shirt.  So I printed a black and white photo of Maria Montessori, copied it onto fabric printer sheets, cut them into squares and sewed 21 Maria Montessori T-Shirts!  Look at them! Aren't they adorable.  As I was sewing these patches for two hours, I thought to myself, 'one might interpret me as a bit insane putting all this time into a whimsy, a fun little idea....' But then I thought, 'I AM insane. And that's okay, I like myself that way.'  And readers, I encourage you, wherever you work or learn or spend your days: Institute a Spirit Week.  It is a lot of fun!  Happy spirit week!


No comments:

Post a Comment