Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vacation! (...and work)

It is a real perk of my job that I get to go to a lot of conferences that allow me 1. professional development and 2. time away from the office. 

This week Sunday through Tuesday I went to a conference for work in Wisconsin Dells.  The conference was Children Come First and allowed me to learn about issues such as bullying, self-injury, advocacy, person-first programming for youth and children with mental illness and emotional / behavioral disabilities.  The venue was the Kalahari and this allowed me to bring my family and have a vacation of sorts.  While I conferenced, Tad took the kids to the water park and when I finished with my workday, we all went back to the water park for some family fun. 

The waterpark was great fun--see the picture?!  But the best part, Tad and I agreed, was being in a hotel room (all expenses covered), cranking the heat in the room up to 75 and turning on the fireplace.  We allowed our kids to indulge in very rare actual programmed- TV time (with commercials, even--they were thrilled) and relaxed in a room that we didn't have to worry about cleaning.

To save money I brought a homemade pizza which was our dinner both nights and fixin's for both breakfast and lunches.  Breakfast was Quaker oatmeal bars (we bring these every time we go to the Kalahari--the kids call them "Kalahari-bars")  Lunch was PB & J.  The only money we spent was on dessert on Monday night. We all went down to the sweet shop and everyone got to choose what they wanted.

Coen got a peppermint stick ice cream cone
I got a caramel apple
Tad got some wierd chocolate/caramel/marshmallow covered rice krispy thing on a sitick.
Lucy got a blue moon ice cream cone.  Since we didn't want her to eat the whole thing (it was big), I kept saying this:  "Lucy, want mommy to hold your ice cream cone while you go count all the animal pictures on th e wall?"  She obliged and every time she ran away to count things, Tad and I snuck bites of her ice cream.  Oh how I relish the days I can still pull one over on her!!!
Coen even got into it. He had her counting plants while he snuck a taste.

We had a great time and I even learned a few things to help me in my work!

No comments:

Post a Comment