Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving.

I gotta say, when Tad and I first dropped one income so he could go to school, all I could think about was budgets and badgercare, foodstamps and lack... but We're four months in and I think we're doing really wonderfully.

Here's what I'm thankful for:

I'm thankful to have a husband/partner/friend who knows that even though it seems weird, stopping to get me get a white chocolate peppermint mocha on the way to Thanksgiving at his parents house (even though the kids are antsy and loud in the backseat and we all just want to get there already) will help my frame of mind as much as stiff shot of booze-ahol would for some other Milwaukeeans

I'm thankful to have a son who, in the midst of a mother-son argument about Lucy's spilled milk and the cleanup process thereof, provides the amazingly hilarious comic relief of going over to ask "Is this the troublesome bump?" (that his daddy was referring to--the troublesome bump being a lump of napkins placed under the tablecloth where the spill was, to keep it from staining the table), nearly knocking over yet another cup of milk in the process. 

I'm thankful to have a daughter who wakes up on Thanskgiving day, proclaiming, "Mommy made two pumpkin pies! One for me and one for Coen!" And also at the Thanksgiving party at Tad's cousins, ran upstairs from where she was playing in the basement at least twenty times just to give me a hug and run back down.

I'm thankful to live in a really great neighborhood where my neighbors lend us ladders and sugar and we, in return, lend eggs and butter sticks. And we all keep track of each other's children and play in each other's piles of leaves.

I'm thankful that my family is having a second Thanksgiving today which means I get to do it all over again with my own mom and dad and sister and her family.  And that during this second thanksgiving we will laugh more than anything else.

I'm thankful that my son (and next year my daughter) go to a school where we have a community feast on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and it is full of Montessori educated children and parents who are supportive and present in their kids lives and their kids school.

I'm thankful that I really like my life and all the people in it.

Happy Thanksgiving and peace out everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment