Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Crash! Bang!

Well, today I crashed my car (accidentally of course) into another car on Howell Avenue in Oak Creek.  I didn't mean it! It was an accident!!  I was a dumb-ass and I just merged over to the turn lane without looking.

The lady I hit was pretty mad.  She came out yelling. 

We pulled over to exchange information and she was still yelling about her new car and the big dent I put in it.  I cried. (of course. When don't I cry, you might be asking yourself!)  I really didn't want her to call the police (single income family, cost of a ticket, insurance hikes blah blah blah and more tears) But she called the cops and the Oak Creek officer arrived, he was the nicest, most patient and cool officer I've ever met.

He reassured me that "accidents happen". Of course, I heard another being called in as we spoke.  I wasn't the only dumb-ass today.  That was reassuring.  I have been stopped by so many police officers who have intimidated me, been annoyed with me, been on a power trip with me... but not this one.

He told me that he had to write me a citation but that he'd give me the cheapest one that he could.  Turns out dangerous lane change is cheaper than inattentive driving.  Go figure.  At any rate, he was so courteous and well...good at serving and protecting that I came away from the whole experience feeling like I'd learned a very important lesson: Never merge before you look!

No comments:

Post a Comment