Sunday, April 3, 2011

Big Bad Blueberry Battle

Many a Sunday, I make up a big batch of pancakes and then put several aside to freeze and serve quickly and easily on the weekends.  Before our income change, we used to buy boxes of frozen waffles.  Expensive, yet efficient.  Then I realized that pancakes are tastier, better for my kids (as I make them with whole wheat flour and flax seed) and just as quick and easy! Hooray for me and my money saving, food making self!

But then everything changed.

The last batch of pancakes I made, Coen spit out his first bite, upset and claiming they tasted like blueberries.  Now, like many children, my own do not like any fruit or anything else obviously healthy involved in their baked, fried, or otherwise prepared breakfast edibles.  I, on the other hand, LOVE a good blueberry pancake.  Usually when I'm making a batch, I make mine during the last round on the griddle, throwing big and juicy frozen blueberries on top of mine, keeping them far away from the others.  So when Coen was upset about his pancake tasting like blueberries, I thought maybe some blueberry juice or piece of the fruit somehow made its way to his pancake. Fine.  So I made them again, keeping the blueberries seperate.   Again he gagged on his pancake, claiming BLUEBERRY!!!
Errrg!!!!!  That was four whole pancakes wasted.  Then I thought it was in the freezing process, as I usually use tin foil. I explained this to him and planned on freezing this new batch, individually, in freezer bags. 

So this morning, I brought Coen into the kitchen and had him watch me mix all the ingredients together--NO BLUEBERRIES--anywhere in sight.  Satisfied, he went back into the living room to watch Sesame Street with his sister and I finished making the pancakes.  Later on, after I had served the children their first round, while I was happily flipping and sipping some coffee, he came into the kitchen, an unhappy look on his face. 
"Blueberries, Mommy, I tasted blueberries."

I wanted to scream.  There honestly were no blueberries involved.  I don't know what it is he's tasting, but I said aloud, "Well, maybe you just don't like pancakes anymore."  He agreed.  What the CUSS!
I wanted to argue with him, I wanted to scream at him.  I had just made fifteen blueberry free pancakes to freeze and serve on weekday mornings.  He's not going to eat them.  Lucy doesn't ever eat pancakes and Tad finds them upsetting to his digestive system.  All I could do was blindly pace around the kitchen, trying not to go on a blueberry rampage, thinking about the wasted time, energy and money that I'd just spent. 

So, I decided to heck with it, and I put some blueberries on one of the bigger pancakes and ate it for breakfast.   My husband is suggesting I go for a walk.  I am going to go do that and maybe bring a huge stack of pancakes over to my neighbor who just had a baby. 

The last batch..and my own pancake...bursting with blueberries

No comments:

Post a Comment