Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grocery Shopping

So I went to the library and got out books.  Books about living on a single income...books about feeding a family on $75 a week, The Bean Bible.  I decided that we could have a grocery budget of $75 a week. 
The first week, we had exactly $75 left in our bank account so I knew I had to make it happen.  I got the Pick n Save flier and planned all my meals for the next week.  Boneless pork spareribs were on sale.  Beans.  Watermelon and cucumber. Lots of other things too.  So I took my son, Coen and we went to Pick n Save together on a Wednesday. Double coupon day.  We didn't actually have any coupons.  All the books say to be careful about coupons.  Coupons often force people to buy things that they weren't planning on buying.  So double coupon day, no coupons. Whatever!
But, the point is, Coen and I, and my list and my calculator and my weekly flier and my cup of coffee...sheesh, it was a lot to pay attention to all at once.  But...we got to the checkout--a whole week's worth of groceries..... drumroll....
$63.49
I was so excited. Coen and I cheered after I swiped my credit card.  We even were able to go over to Sentry next door where they have Tad's luxury--bubbly water--on sale-4 cases for only 10 dollars!

That week I made homemade spaghettios and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner one night!  Dried pasta rings with tomato sauce and shredded cheddar cheese (on sale) and garlic.  Delicious!!! And I can make 20 servings of the spaghettios for roughly $0.45 per serving... Where the canned stuff is $1.00 a serving!  I also made pork spareribs rubbed with paprika, onion salt, garlic powder, sea salt and chili powder (homemade cajun seasoning) and brushed with garlic, green beans sauteed in garlic, marjoram and olive oil, and cornbread muffins (29 cents a box!).  Those meals covered three dinners and a couple lunches!

I can't say how long the novelty will stay but I was SO excited!

2 comments:

  1. Alie, Steve and I began a new commitment to our finances in April. I have been having a ball playing the grocery game! The only coupons I use is for things that I would normally buy and even if I have a coupon to double, if it is cheaper to get the generic or store brand on an item I don't much care about( fabric softener) then I won't use my coupon on the name brand.

    There are tons of blogs and websites you can go to to download coupons on things that you use and to get moneys saving ideas and deals. On Facebook, you might want to consider checking out: Money Saving Mom, We Use Coupons, Saving Naturally, Keeper of the Home, Common Sense with Money, Stockpiling Moms for starters.

    Maybe we should start a club at IF. I know that this is something that is important to Leah as well. We could exchange coupons that we don't use and share ideas too.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a great idea... plus it can go along with my need to continue having girls nights out this year without spending money on a restaurant or movie!!!

    ReplyDelete