Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Potluck problems

  So tomorrow my son's school is holding the big orientation potluck--all the families come and get introduced to new teachers, new students, and start thinking about school starting next week. I figured, on our budget, I'd just make some nice molasses cookies from scratch. Well then yesterday I noticed the invite and saw that types of food to be brought were broken up by last names.  People with last names letters K-P are to bring main courses. Dangit!!! Stupid middle of the alphabet last name!!!!  I considered briefly just ignoring it and bringing cookies anyway. I considered emailing our organizer and asking if I could just bring dessert....then I talked to Tad and he said, "Let's just bring what we need to bring. I'll pick up one of those rotisserie chickens you have a coupon for!"  Alright, alright So I'll suck it up and bring a main course.
Today, however, I'm feeling really good.  Some things I did yesterday account for that.  I spent some time in the kitchen. I grilled and froze cut up chicken breast to be used on salads, I made a HUGE pot of homemade spaghettios (new recipe and it is DELICOUS!!! Go to
http://feedyourvegetarian.blogspot.com/2007/09/homemade-spaghettios.html
and try it...YUM-o-rama)  which I'll be bringing to tomorrow's potluck.  And when you think about it...I made a meal to serve a huge group of people for about $4.50.  I also made two loaves of zucchini bread and froze it by individual slices for snacks for my kids. 
Plus I talked to Tad.  We had a good, long, cleansing talk.  About how we will handle this and how we will handle each other's individual neuroses, ways of dealing and anxieties about the year.  It was lovely.
   AND....week three grocery shopping done!  Total:  $71.63.  Ta-Da!!!  I even shopped for house guests, the potluck, the whole week's worth of meals, got new toothbrushes and spent like thirty percent of the whole bill on produce.  I was so proud, I did a little dance with my cart on the way out.  And then crashed into the table where people were renewing their savings cards.  Whoops!

1 comment:

  1. I have a great recipe for chipotle pecan basil chicken salad that I make with lots of veggies (onion and celery) that stretches one of those rotisserie chickens very far and is awesome on crackers (with grapes) and for pita sandwiches. Want it, let me know!

    ReplyDelete