Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lovely dinner

Our lovely dinner
    I made a dinner last night and here is the recipe:

1.5 lbs pork tenderloin
1 summer squash
1 sweet potato (peeled)
4 baking potatoes (peeled)
2 carrots (peeled)

All of the above should be cubed.

Marinate in 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup worcesterhire sauce and bake on an olive-oiled baking sheet at 450 degrees for 20 minutes

served with a cornbread muffin (29 cents for a mix box on sale) and brussels sprouts soaked in cold water for 10 minutes and simmered for another 10 minutes.

It probably cost roughly $10.00 for the whole meal and will last us for two dinners and two lunches.  For four people!

Coen was disturbed by the cubed shapes and said he wasn't sure if he could eat it because he didn't know what it was.  So we played a game where he ate a piece and then guessed what it was. It was fun and he finished it all! 

Lucy, being two, threw herself on the floor upon seeing the dinner and screamed, "I can't eat that! It's too smushy!" But being the experienced mother of a former two-year-old, (who has played out this scene incorrectly several times in my life) I held my ground and told her, that's what we are having.  And if she didn't want to eat, she didn't have to but we weren't having anything else.  After much ado, and Tad, Coen and I were all finished, I was in the kitchen packing up leftovers. Lucy came in, chewing, another bite perched upon her fork triumphantly.  "I'm eating my dinner, Mamma!" she said, mouth full. "Can I still have a popsicle?" (homemade by the way). 

And she did.  Another successful dinner over and done!

1 comment:

  1. This dinner looks fabulous. I'm impressed with your creativity, though not surprised!

    ReplyDelete