Thursday, October 14, 2010

Concert Denial

    Tad and I have never been big spenders.  All our furniture is hand-me-down. Most of our kids clothing is as well.  We buy our clothes at Goodwill and other resale shops.  Our computer was my graduation gift recieved in 2006. when we want to play video games, we whip out the old original Nintendo system.
    But over the last year or so we spent almost $1000.00 on concert tickets alone--going to see Leonard Cohen, Matthew Sweet, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, the Magnetic Fields, Vampire Weekend, the Flaming Lips and the Fiery Furnaces.  Dang.  So of course when Tad and I made the decision for him to go back to school, we knew that one of the things that would have to go was the concert budget.

Tad's completed homework, drying on the floor

   So far, we have skipped two concerts I wanted to go to.  The first was Farm Aid with Willie Nelson and others at Miller Park.  It wasn't that hard to skip because the tickets were so expensive that we may not have even gone to that one even in better financial times. 

  But last night, Iron and Wine played at the Riverside and I must admit, it hurt my heart not to go.  But nevertheless, I survived.  The self-denial of seeing my favorite artists live is hard, but will not kill me.

  What did we do last night instead of going to see Iron and Wine live?  We listened to Iron and Wine on the stereo and I helped Tad with his homework.  Last night's homework?  Painting twelve Montessori charts with watercolors. Not a bad evening all in all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment