Friday, February 25, 2011

Cupcake cake!

My son's school has a Family Fun night tomorrow and a cake walk fundraiser. Even in these trying economic times, I wanted to contribute something!  I made red velvet cupcakes from scratch and cream cheese vanilla frosting--also from scratch.  You can find the red velvet recipe any where..just google it.  Its basically chocolate cake made with cocoa powder and red food coloring.  The frosting recipe:
1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese softened
1 stick of sweet cream spread softened
2 cups (and a bit more, depending on the consistency you want) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

All I had to buy (what wasn't already in my cupboards): Chocolate wafer cookies for the wings, eyes and eyebrows, pretzel rods for the branches, circus peanuts for the talons and beak, jelly rings and junior mints-also for the eyes) I made some baby owls out of the leftover cupcakes!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the coolest cakes I've ever seen, and it's an owl to boot. What a hoot! (Okay, that rhymed.)

    ReplyDelete