Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cinnamon roll Sunday



Today I felt like baking.  Come on! Late Sunday morning.  A cold rain is falling. My kids are playing Legos quietly at the table. What better time to bake.  So I made homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing.  The recipe is a mix of recipes that I found and altered to my own liking.  Here it is:

Rolls

2 t bakers yeast
1 cup warm water
(mix together and let sit for a few moments. then add:)
1/4 cup sugar
dash of salt (mix all that together, then add:)
1/4 cup canola or veggie oil
3 cups flour
(let sit for 15 minutes or so after you knead it all up)
Then roll it out to a 15 by 8 inch rectangle and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixure

Filling

1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 t cinnamon
1 T butter melted

Roll the whole thing at the wider end and cut into about 1 inch (or a bit more) rolls.  Put in a greased cake pan and let sit for 45 minutes to rise, then bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.  Then frost!

Frosting

3-4 T Cream cheese
3-4 T butter
1 t vanilla
 a little milk
enough powdered sugar to make it frostingy (sorry about this. I never use a frosting recipe..just eyeball it until its at the texture I want!)

Serve warm and WOW they are good!!

Coen said this, after tasting his (I was still in the kitchen): "Whoah! Mom's going to love to hear this!" Comes running into the kitchen.  "Mom! These are even better than Alterra's!"

Now, Alterra cinnamon rolls are almost Coen's favorite thing in the world.  That's a pretty nice compliment!
Happy rainy Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Better than Alterra? WOW. I'm going to have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete