Friday, March 11, 2011

Lights, Camera, Activism!

Well, Tad is sick. He doesn't get sick very often but when he does, he really does!  I've become a full-time(ish) single parent just for the short term.  I already have been taking over a lot of day long excursions, etc. with the kids on my own because of Tad's workload at school.  But now he is WAY out of commission.  So Wednesday, the day his fever spiked, I made sure to be in charge of them all night so he could go to bed at 6:00. 
Yesterday it was clear he wasn't any better, so I decided to keep the kids out of the house until bedtime. I pondered a lot of options.  Going to my sister's? She's sick too.  Hanging out with my parents?  They had dinner plans (which they generously invited us to).  We sat in the car of Coen's school parking lot and I scanned facebook feeds on my phone to see if anyone had any exciting Budget related plans.  It turned out there was a rally at the Milwaukee County Courthouse and Jesse Jackson would be there to speak.
So the kids and I went to my parents' house (where they were not) and I made dinner (previously packed at home before I left to pick them up).  We watched PBS and ate yesterday's leftovers. Then we stopped at Sendiks where I bought each child a large cookie.
Then the three of us headed over to the courthouse where we rallied.  I'm really glad we did.  That afternoon when I picked up Coen he burst into tears and said, "Scott Walker is taking away health care and if Ms Rita gets sick she won't be able to go to the doctor!!"  I set him straight and tried to explain as best I could why some people are upset with Scott Walker. Apparently lots of kids at school are talking about it!  Anyway, Coen and Lucy and I sat on the steps of the courthouse, snuggled up in our winter coats.  We got to see Highland teachers--Mr. Barry and Ms. Carly.  We saw my neighbor, and the Reverend Jesse Jackson.  Coen seemed moved by the speeches, the parts that he understood.  I was pleased to be there and be part of it, with my kids and my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment