Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Happy Holidays

  Well, I do apologize for being so remiss in my blogging... its been busy... obviously.  I have told our 12 days of Christmas story to countless people and have not once told it without getting teary-eyed.

  We had a lovely holiday.  Yesterday, I took a walk with Tad and I realized that the last time we took a walk together, we were talking about the stress of going into the holidays. And yesterday, it was all over and I can't believe how fast that all went. 

  We started out our winter break quite poorly actually, but things only did (and could have) gone uphill from there.  We were supposed to have someone take our kids all day the day before Christmas eve and Tad and I were planning on spending some much needed time alone together and finish up some last minute details... but our date day was cancelled at the last moment.  I don't know about you, but when I think I'm going to be rid of my children for a whole day after a long run of working hard both at work and as a parent....  I mentally check out. Which is what I did...about an hour before we were supposed to drop off our kids. So when it was cancelled, for the rest of the day, I couldn't quite check back in.  It was a long day.  At one point, we were at McDonalds (having taken the kids there in desperation when they too were disappointed about missing out on their day away from us), we were sitting silently, Tad and I both a little sullen, our kids arguing over happy meal toys, french fries strewn about the table...Tad said to me: "We are like the rest of America right now."   Nooooooooooooooo!  But I take solace in the fact that most days, we are not like the rest of America.

  The holidays however, were lovely. We spent Christmas eve with my family and the 25th with Tad's family.  I was really proud of my kids, who opened their presents with appreciation and never once asked why there wasn't more.  They showed gratitude to all their gift givers.  One trick for that is that before Christmas, we practice opening presents. 
Here's how it works:
I give Coen a box.  "Here's your present!"
Coen pretends to open it.
"It's socks!"
"THANK YOU!!!", says Coen appreciatively.
I give him another box which he pretends to open.
"It's a star wars lego set"
"THANK YOU!!!", says Coen appreciatively.
It is good practice!

So we spent Christmas night at home, playing with new toys and eating leftovers for dinner.  We've pretty much been doing that since.  I love this time of year.  And I love most that I was able to save up all my vacation days. I have been off since last week Tuesday and will be off the rest of this week.  Stay at home mommy-hood is awesome.  For two weeks.  That's all I can take but I do love this two weeks.

Happy Holidays everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment