Friday, December 10, 2010

Three French Hens, Two Turtle Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

I have received many a kindness since we started this year of simple living.  Honestly, I have received many a kindness in my life in general...  I had my anonymous gift card donor... who gave me the gifts of a dinner out at Chipotle with my family when I was DESPERATE not to cook dinner, a gift card to Noodles which provided for two lunches on days when I forgot to pack a lunch, and best of all the opportunity to go out to the Cheesecake factory with my girlfriends and have a delicious and fun night out.  Thank you anonymous donor! Now I know who you are, due to my super sleuth skills :)  But you know that!

Now, two days ago, I went outside to load up the car and there was a basket outside my door.  I brought it in to look at it. It was full of pears surrounding a tiny little snowy tree upon which hung little pictures.. After closer inspection I looked at the pictures and finally realized that it was photos of the Partridge family.  The pears were ripe and lovely and there were two pear shaped candles as well!

Yesterday, I went outside and there was another basket!  This one had two turtles carved out of stone and two Dove chocolate bars... catching on yet? 

Two Turtle Doves and a Partridge in a Pear Tree!!!  I figure it must be my next door neighbors. They are incredible people. They have eight children, all grown...  (gosh, it could be nine...I might be wrong!) and they always leave little gifts for our kids birthdays and other holidays.  She is a very crafty woman so even before I caught on to the theme, I realized that it must be from her... because of the tree. 

So today, I went outside and there was a basket with three Cornish game hens with little French flags stuck around them.  Next to that was a big basket with chicken broth, stuffing, potatoes, carrots, and rolls!  This is the most creative and generous and amazingly kind gift.  They are giving us the the 12 days of Christmas! I am awestruck and humbled by this.

I know they are doing this in the spirit of kindness, not for retribution, but I am already thinking of how I can do so....

Driving in to work today, I felt very warm and happy.  That there are people in the world who take that much time and effort and thought....on just a gift for their neighbors....that makes me know that it is a wonderful world we live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment