Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sweetness battles the crabbies

Well today I called in sick, which I rarely do.  And I went to the doctor.  My doctor's office is on the east side which is also where my parents live so I took my daughter to them and went to my appointment.  When I got there I was told that the doctor I was scheduled with acutally changed her schedule so she left at 11:00.  My 11:30 appointment had been cancelled that morning and nobody told me!

She suggested I come back tomorrow at 10:30, but I have an importatnt trainng at work at that time tomorrow. I told her that I took the day off to come and that I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do. She was very nice and said she'd get me in to see the triage nurse. 

The nurse called me into an examination room and said in a rather annoyed-seeming voice:
"Well, what seems to be so serious with your health that you absolutely HAVE to be seen today?"
Jeez.
I was a bit put off by this attacky sort of way of talking to me, but I smiled and said sweetly,
"Well, I did have an appointment today but it was cancelled without my knowledge.  I took off work today to come and my lungs hurt when I breathe, so I wanted to try to be seen today.  But if I'm putting you off...."
"No, no!" She said, suddenly nice, "My name is ___________  I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. I can get you in with another doctor today. I'll be right back."

And I got a 1:00 appointment.

It turns out I have a cold, probably a virus which is in my lungs, but nothing terrible.  She told me to rest and drink lots of fluids. Offerred to write me an excuse to be off work for a couple days.  I declined.  I feel better already than yesterday.  I'm relaxing now.  And blogging.  If I am better yet tomorrow, I'm going to work. 

It seems like a lot of people can get all crabby and rude.  But I find its best to be sweet anyway.  It is always disarming.   I don't want to kill 'em with kindness really.  Mostly surprise 'em with sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment