Saturday, August 27, 2011

Boulevard Bashed

The Washington Heights Boulevard Bash has been going on for some years now, but we've never gone.  But today...lo and behold, we had a Saturday, with nothing planned! 

My sister came over with her kids in the morning and we got to chat and drink coffee while the children built forts out of blankets and pillows and mattresses hoisted off the beds.  I also got a very sleuthy text from my friend and neighbor who let me know that a dollhouse that has been on sale at a rummage for many seasons running was finally down to the price I wanted it to be!  I snuck down there with coaster wagon and my check book and now I have 1. a lovely fix-up project to work on in the months to come and 2. a 4th birthday present for Lucy.

After today's rest and a viewing of Fraggle Rock accompanied by goldfish crackers and fruit leather, all around, Tad, Coen and I got on our bikes--Lucy in the chariot behind me-- and we went to the Bash on Washington Boulevard.  Going there was free and we purchased food and drink at a dollar per item.  Soda, sliders, spring rolls, chicken satay, hot dogs, gelato (well that one was more than a dollar).  And we had a lovely time.  We ran into many friends, acquaintances, and neighbors.  Coen rode his bike, around the entire time, stopping only to eat and drink.  Lucy dug in wood chips with one friend and stones with another and placed her sticky warm hand into mine at all other times.

I just finished giving her an unexpected bath as she was covered in dust, wood chips, stones and dirt and tucked her away in bed.  I am enjoying a few minutes of blogitude before Tad comes down from Coen's room. 

Oh how I love summer in Milwaukee with all its free-ness and warmth and people abound. 

Here's a photo of my dirty but beautiful daughter and her kitty face painting.  Made up lullabies are a nightly occurrence at our house.  Tonight's was about Coen and Lucy going to the pet store to buy a purple kitty. At the end of the song, Lucy informed me that she didn't think the pet store would have a purple kitty. Only a white one with purple spots.


No comments:

Post a Comment