Sunday, August 21, 2011

On school supplies...and how in the world is my daughter going to exist in society.

We went school shopping on Friday.  Tad and I were worried at the start, as the kids were going on a long few days of not quite enough sleep...and quite ENOUGH of each other.  We decided the solution was to conquer and divide. Lucy and I took one cart and her list while Tad and Coen took another cart and Coen's list.  

Tad and Coen took it leisurely, talking and looking at things.  I tried to focus on the list, navigating the cart up and down aisles while Lucy became irate that I was not paying her enough attention. When we met in the food section, all four of us.  Tad had a near empty cart, a cheerful child, near-full school supply list and a smile on his face.  I had almost everything we needed and some of Coen's as well, an extremely cranky child, and most likely a very disgruntled look on my face. 

Humph.  Isn't that just life though. I try so hard to get things done WHILE parenting that I don't always get any of it done that well.  Tad just focuses on parenting, which, in turn, can leave the tasks unfinished. Oh, is there no middle ground?

So I took Lucy and we finished shopping off Coen's list while Tad and Coen picked dinner supplies and a dessert for the evening. (Thank you Target grocery section).  Both kids got a new outfit for the first day of school and Tad and I splurged on iced coffees at Starbucks (I'm sorry god or goddess of independently owned places). 

We got home in one piece with our stuff...but it had me thinking. How in the world is my daughter... my strong-willed, loud, independent and stubborn little girl going to go to school and exist within a community and listen to ANYONE?!!!  I know, I know, she will.

And aside from all those qualities, she is so extremely smart and kind and loving and gentle when she wants to be, and a wonderful little individual.  I am sure she'll be fine.

Here is a picture to illustrate my concern.  Don't worry; it's not as it looks. She is actually showing off a bug bite.


No comments:

Post a Comment