Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Oh, English Majors.


I always think it's funny now...when people ask about my schooling.  I was twenty-one years old...a semester away from a degree in Social Work, only my practicum left to finish...and what did I do? I called my parents together and announced that I was breaking up with my live-in boyfriend, moving to a new place and changing my major to English. I was going to be a writer!  Ha!

Fifteen years later and what do I do? Social work, basically!  Funny how things work out.  Anyway, I'm glad of the path I took...I have my giant book of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare and my volumes of poetry by T.S. Eliot and Anne Sexton...  my Oxford English Dictionary and big Thesaurus to show for it all.  And my big vocabulary.  And my student loans.  *sigh* 

But really, I enjoyed college. I'd like to go back someday and get a PhD in Disability Studies.  And at any rate, it was my degree in English and consequent unemployment after graduation that led me to substitute teaching for MPS...which led me to the special education program...which led me to my love for working with kids with disabilities.  Where in the end, I'm putting my almost social work degree to good use.

And I'm a writer of sorts. A blogger.

Some day I will write a book. It is on my list of five dreams I've had since I was twelve. Wanna know what they are?
1. Join the Peace Corps
2. Fall in love
3. Make a record
4. Write a book
5. Hold a monkey

Here's to dreams!  And English majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment