Monday, August 1, 2011

Door county vacation

Last week, Tad, the kids and I piled in the car and followed my parents (in their car) for a Door County vacation.  On the way,we stopped in Sturgeon Bay and went to "The Farm" where the kids got to feed baby goats with bottles and throw feed to the chickens and cows and mother goats.  They got to check out real farm equipment and sit on a tractor.  The highlight was a huge cow who opened her mouth wide for you to throw corn kernels in.  Coen did so quite deftly and then showed his sister, who proceeded to whip corn kernels into the poor thing's mouth, overhand.  We went to the beach after the farm and then to dinner at Julie's in Fish Creek.  Finally we ended up in Ephraim (stopping first at Wilson's Ice Cream--re-named Cookie Doug's my by father and husband who were amused at the near-missing letter 'h' in said flavor.) 
The place we stayed at was called "The Windmill" and was a lovely four-bedroom cottage a little out of the way.  Day two was overcast and sprinking so we went to the Egg Harbor YMCA and did a little swimming and playing indoors in the water.  We had a lovely lunch in Egg Harbor and then Tad and I took the kids Go-Karting.  Or riding in "go-cars" as Lucy said.  They both LOVED it.  That nigt my wonderful parents allowed Tad and I a date night. We mini-golfed at Pirate's Adventure Cove.  We walked around and climbed the tower in Peninsula State Park. We dined at The Cookery in Fish Creek and finished it off with ice cream at Wilson's. 
Day 3, we rented bikes and biked 10 miles through Peninsula State Park.  Coen made it the whole way!  We went to the beach there after and enjoyed the sun and the water and a couple icee's at the snack bar.  That night we ordered pizza from Wild Tomato Wood Fired Pizza in Fish Creek and picked up pies from Sweetie Pie's in Egg Harbor for dessert.  After dinner my dad made a nice big fire and we roasted marshmallows and ate s'mores. After the kids went to bed, Tad and I stayed up, talking and laughing with my parents.

The final day, we all got up and packed and left our lovely little Windmill Cottage.  We spent that last day at the beach in Egg Harbor (the best beach in the whole of the county, if you want my opinion).  We built sand castles and swam and ate lunch.  The way home, the kids concocted some game with their stuffed animals, leaving Tad and I to talk and listen to music.  The whole trip was really great.  It was fun to be with my parents. The weather was mostly wonderful. And we got to do pretty much all there is to do in Door County for a group of 6 with two little kids.  Now, I'm off to eat some of my chocolate covered door county sun dried cherries. 



No comments:

Post a Comment