Sunday, August 28, 2011

Good Morning

Today I woke up to the sound of footsteps on the stairs.  I sat up and rubbed my eyes and Lucy was standing in the doorway in her jammies.  She climbed into bed with Tad and  I and cuddled up, allowing us to keep our eyes closed a little longer.  After a little while, we heard more footsteps and Coen was on the stairs too.  Lucy hopped out of our bed and followed him into the living room, both of them cozying up on the couch with their stuffed animals and bed sheets.

I made us some hashbrowns and homemade biscuit sandwiches with eggs and havarti cheese.  The four of us ate in the living room picnic style and no one once mentioned the television.

After we'd eaten, Coen dragged out the old organ that Tad had bought at a rummage, and a recorder and drum.  I got my guitar and the four of us sang and made music until late in the morning.  It was something.

Tad and I traded off verses, making up a song about the kids and they played along.  We ended our musical morning with a trip to the farmer's market on our bikes, the summer breeze turning cool.

Later, when Lucy was having her 'rest time' and Tad and Coen were both away, I strummed my guitar and thought two very important things: One--I love my family and Two--I need to start making music again.

No comments:

Post a Comment