Sunday, September 19, 2010

Star Wars Party

So my baby boy turned 7 today.  I can NOT believe I have a seven year old boy. How did this happen?!  Yesterday we threw him a Star Wars Party. I let him choose seven friends to invite (we had 8 come) to his party. I was first of all, pleased he chose two kids from his new 1st grade class, and 2nd of all pleased that he chose 2 girls to come!
I told parents they could drop off (never have had a party like that before) so we had 10 children (including ours) in our house for 2 hours--just Tad and I in charge.  Because of that, I had an agenda-down to the minute for the party.  Here it was:
The kids arrived and until everyone arrived, we had them play in the playroom.
Once everyone was there, I gathered them around and presented each kid with a pretzel rod light saber. I gave them a speech about them being the weapon of a Jedi but how Jedis are peaceful, etc..  They also drank "Jawa Juice" punch made of 7-up, blue kool-aid and rainbow sherbet. 
After they ate their light sabers we went outside to play "Jedi Says" (Simon says)
Then I had them gather round the picnic table and gave each kid a small pot.  They painted the pots (silver, green, blue, purple and yellow) and then each scooped soil into their pots. Then I handed out Black-Eyed Susan seeds, telling them they were magical seeds for a flower that grows on the forest moon of Endor.  The pollen makes people invisible and Ewoks use them to hide from enemies. I told them that they'd never been planted on Earth so I wasn't sure if they'd work.  They planted and watered their seeds and then held their hands aloft, using The Force to make them work, when they grow.
After this Tad engaged the kids in a wild game that he and Coen have lately been playing (of their invention) where Tad launches balls at Coen who tries to get them away with his hands and makeshift light saber. They loved that.
Then it was cake time.  A Baskin Robbins ice cream cake.  And presents.  Tad looked up at me during the presents and said "Eighteen minutes to go!"  They had just enough time to resume playroom play when all parents arrived for pick up.  It was a success.  We were proud.
The cake was the most expensive part of the party- $31.00
The decorations, materials for the light sabers - $10.00
The juice - $3.00

It was a $44.00 success and Coen had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment