Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First day of school

 Today was Coen's first day of first grade.  We dropped Lucy off at daycare and then Tad and I took Coen to school together.  It was raining, so there was not the usual revelry and crowd of children and parents on the playground.  We sat in the foyer, Coen nestled on my lap, me trying not to transfer my nervous energy to him.  When they called his class, he jumped up and lined up with his classmates. I cried the second we got in the car.
Then I went grocery shopping.  $76.77 today, and I had to buy some cleaning stuff--hand soap refill jug, sponges and the like!  Tomorrow I'll spend an extra $20.  Four cases of bubbly water at Sentry and Tad's birthday cake.  Sentry has these incredibly delicious chocolate chip cookie cakes for only $10.00, no matter how much frosting you order to be piled upon it.  Pretty good deal for a birthday cake!
After school/work was done for the day, we were in the car and heading home. Tad said, "I wish we could go out to dinner tonight."  I felt exactly the same. The last thing I wanted to do was eat pork and potatoes for the third night in a row and there was NO WAY we were getting the kids to eat it again. Then I remembered the Culvers gift cards--one I'd one and two more generously given me by a coworker.
So we went to Culvers. Coen and Lucy had kids meal and Tad and I split an adults meal.  We all had ice cream for dessert.  Know how much it cost?  Zero dollars and zero cents.  $0.00.
Happy first day of school, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment