Thursday, June 16, 2011

The power of alone time

Tonight Tad is away spending some much needed time AWAY...away from parenthood, responsibilities and even husband-hood. 

One thing I love about our relationship is we give each other that.  When life is not too busy, we try to each take a night a week away from it all with friends or alone.  I like to meet up with my girls for dinner, or go for a long walk with one of my neighbors.  He likes to join a friend to watch a sporting event, or go out to chat, but mostly he likes his time alone --to regroup and re-energize.  He left for Madison this morning and I know he enjoyed driving in the sunshine listening to a couple new mix Cd's (on very high volume) that he made last night. I know he'll enjoy his night away, his completely uninterrupted night of sleep, and his kid-free morning.  Tomorrow he'll come home a rested man who appreciates what he has even more.  That's the way it is. When we get some time away, especially when we're in the business of raising children and even just in a partnership, time to do something that is yours and yours alone is SO invaluable and really good for you too.  When I do it, I get to actually MISS my family and I'm so happy to see them when I am back. And Tad always says that being out in the world makes him appreciate what he has in his own world even more.

Me? I'm hanging out with my kiddos tonight...though not as I type.  We played in the neighborhood after school until dinnertime.  We feasted on pigs in a blanket (super cheap meal), watermelon, applesauce, pasta salad and veggie soup with chocolate covered ice cream bon bons for dessert (all leftovers).  Right now, I am happily blogging away to the sounds of the ka-chunk ka-chunk of Coen and Lucy bouncing on Coen's mattress which he has pulled off his bed frame and on to the floor.  When I close the top of my computer I'll go and give them a 30 minute warning before its time to clean up their fort and get their little bodies into bed. 

I will then enjoy the quiet of my house and not talk to anyone at all while I embark on perhaps a crafty project, or view something girly, or eat pretzels dipped in melted chocolate and peanut butter.  Mmmmm.  I better sign off, it's suddenly a bit too quiet upstairs!

Good night dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment