Monday, May 9, 2011

A funny little mother's day story

   My in-laws take Lucy every Thursday and this week, when they dropped her off, my mother-in-law gave me a wrap-around skirt that she no longer wears and thought I would like.  A very considerate gesture.  I, unsure that I would wear it, put it aside in a pile of fabrics for sewing...

   Saturday evening, my beautiful, thoughtful Coen decided to make me a present.  I am a fairly new sewer, and have made a few pairs of curtains. I also really love curtains and am always admiring them at other people's houses, and in stores.  Coen went and found a lovely looking fabric (the skirt!!!) in my pile and two wooden stakes in the basement. He secretly took the skirt and cut three holes in it, looping the sticks through the holes.  He wrapped it in a baby blanket and hid it in his closet.

  Sunday morning, he greeted me with a hug and a sweet 'Happy Mother's Day'.  Lucy ran to me too with a hug and a big board she'd colored for me with the help of her Nana (my Mother in-law!)  They both gave a solemn vow that there would be 'no inappropriate words for Mother's Day' and then Coen ran to get his gift for me.

 I opened it and he explained that he'd made me some "window curtains".  We propped them up at my bedroom window.  Later that evening, my in-laws came for dinner and Coen couldn't wait to show his present to Nana and Grandpa!  Oops!!!  Tad vouched for me that he ok'd the cutting of the skirt and we all had a good laugh!

Happy mother's day to all you moms out there!  And those who'd like to be or are about to be moms as well!

A big hug from my kiddos

Coen's curtains on the left, Lucy's picture on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment