Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A grilled cheese is a grilled cheese, is it not?

Yesterday, Tad wasn't home, so I kept dinner simple for me and my two kids.  Grilled cheese, cheesy potato chips and pickles.  Mmm mmmmm.

While Coen and Lucy played upstairs, I decided to work on dinner.  I cut up some farmers cheese, some Havarti and some white cheddar with dill and garlic.  I put the sandwiches together with those three delicious cheeses and slices of ham, and added tomatoes to mine.  All three of us got a nice dose of yellow mustard, the favorite condiment of three of four Kriofske Mainellas if anyone's asking.

The sandwiches were lovely, toasted perfectly brown, and I put them on plates beside the pickles and chips and I thought I was giving my children a pretty fun dinner.

Both of them took a few bites of their grilled cheeses and were unimpressed and uninterested.

I was shocked.  They even said they'd be willing to eat carrots and apple slices instead.  Carrots and apples instead of grilled cheese sandwiches?!! WHAT?!!!

So tonight, my parents took the three of us out for dinner, as Tad was still away getting work done.  We sat down at the Chancery (Kid's night! Pay your kids height!  49 cents and 39 cents for Coen and Lucy respectively).  We sit down at the table, look at the menu (or color the menu with crayons, depending on who you ask) and Coen immediately says, "Mom? Are these normal grilled cheeses they have?" 
"Normal?"  "Yeah, normal. Not like the ones you made."  "I guess yes, they are normal."
"Okay! I want a grilled cheese." 

Lucy gets up on her knees in the booth.  "I want a grilled cheese too!!!" 

They ate them all up.

Apparently some grilled cheese sandwiches are normal. And some are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment